Friday, January 30, 2009

Snow and Fried Rice

It's been a week since I last posted. No worries folks I haven't forgotten about coming in here and sharing my crazy culinary experiences. I haven't cooked much lately. We had a pretty good snow storm this past week. One day it's clear as day, next thing you know over night we got 6 inches of snow, than rains all day and we got a sheet of ice over the snow, than snows again. Pretty crazy huh? The power finally went out on Monday, I heard that the power circuit on the streets where being broken by frozen trees that snapped because of the ice that formed on them. Some of the electrical boxes blew out too cuz of the ice freezing inside the box. The whole area where I live still has no power but my husbands mom's place has power, luckily. So we are slumming it here for awhile to keep warm and to be able to cook food and take warm showers. It doesn't look like its going to let up anytime soon. I heard that we where going to get more snow on Monday. The sun came out for a little bit today but that just means more ice forming on the ground on top of snow. It makes it slippery to walk and very hard to drive in. My husband haven't been able to go to work for a week now due to the snow. Hopefully his place of work will open back up next week.
This is a whole new experience for me. It's exciting but also very scary. These are the days that I wish I was back home in San Diego where the temperature's warm and power is everywhere.
Today for lunch I cooked fried rice. I don't have any pictures because I left my camera at home.
Bacon and Beef Fried Rice Ingredients
1/2lb ground beef
2 strips of bacon (chopped)
2 stalks of green onion (diced)
1 small onion (minced)
1 small carrot (diced)
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
2 eggs (scrambled)
5 tbls soy sauce
5 tbls oil (or bacon/ground beef fat)
5 cups of cooked white rice
In a wok cook bacon till crisp..set aside, in same wok cook ground beef till brown. Drain a little bit of the oil out and add onions to walk till translucent. Add carrots and green onion. Cook till carrots are tender. Add bacon and ground beef and stir. Once mixed add cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper and fold over all ingredients. Add scrambled egg and pour over rice, fold all together again than add soy sauce. If 5 tbls is not enough just add more to taste. Let cook and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment