Thursday, January 22, 2009

Empanada Surprise, Bacon Mash, Velveeta Mac & Cheese, and Steak



I can honestly say that I had the cooking bug today. It started with a request for dinner from my husband...steak with mash potato. I started peeling the potatoes than it hit me.
I wanted to make some empanada's. I've made them before but I always had issues with the dough, they never come out the way I want them.
But you know I'm getting better.
I saw a recipe from Emeril using corn meal on the latin version of empanada's and I was like A-HA! I didn't have corn meal but I did have Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (it'll work right?). I couldn't decide how to cook them so I did both. I fried 3 and baked the rest. I was kind of iffy how the texture would come out since it's corn muffin mix. I did mix it with regular all purpose flour.



Empanada Surprise

Dough Recipe

1 box of Jiffy Muffin Mix
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/3 of butter or margarine
1 tsp. of sugar
pinch of salt
pinch of garlic powder
1/4 cold water

Mix all dry ingredients first and than add butter/margarine. Mix together, if you have a mixer you can use that otherwise use your hands and mush everything together till all ingredients are well mixed in. Add cold water a little bit of a time till the dough has a nice texture. Cover and set a side for 20 minutes or so.


Filling Recipe

1/2 lb ground beef
1 chorrizo sausage link (de-cased)
1 onion chopped
1 tbs garlic minced
1 potato diced
1/2 fuji apple diced
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp of paprika
1 tbs of minced celantro
1 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 tsp of vegetable oil
1 tomato diced

Heat stove to medium heat and add oil. Add minced garlic, stir, and than add onions. Add a pinch of salt to help translucent the onions. Add ground beef and chorizo, cumin, a little more of salt, pepper, paprika, and chicken bullion. Sautee till brown. Drain for excess oil. Add potato, fuji apples, and tomato.


Cook till tender. Add celantro...mix all together and cook for 15 more minutes. Set-a-side to cool.


Putting the Empanda together

Take a small handful of dough and roll into small ball, roll it out and use a glass to cut a circle, roll a little bit more to make it larger. Do not roll the dough too thin or else it'll break when you cook it. Add a little bit of flour if it starts to stick. Add a tsp of the filling mixture.

Fold over and use a fork to crimp the sides.

You can either fry them or bake them in the oven. Cook till golden brown. I tried both.


Bacon Mash Potato

3-4 Russet Potatoes (peeled) and cubed
5-6 cups of water
2 strip of bacon
1 stick of butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. chicken bullion
pinch of salt if needed
1/4 Milk

Cook potatoes in water and let boil.
On a separate pan cook 2 strips of bacon. Set-a-side, once dry cut and mince bacon.
Once potatoes are done drain and mash, add butter/margarine and whip. Add bullion or salt for taste and than add bacon. Than add milk and mix together.

Velveeta Mac and Cheese

Call me lazy, I've made mac and cheese from scratch before but if you don't have time this is almost as good as the real stuff.

1 box of Velveeta Shells and Cheese
1/4 of Mac
1/4 cup of milk

Boil water and add shells and mac, drain pasta, add cheese mix provide in box and add milk. Stir. Add more milk if you don't like thick consistency.


Plate everything together and you have yourself a really filling meal.

oh I had also cooked a small steak for my hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment