Monday, January 26, 2009

Orange Chicken


Yummy... This is my first time making Orange Chicken. I've tried many from different places back home...some more tartier than others. My favorite one I guess is this little point and order kind of food court at a Ranch 99 Market. The only thing about orange chicken is either the sauce is too thick or the chicken has too much breading on it. I found a recipe I liked online and tweaked it a little bit. Here it is....

Orange Chicken Recipe

2 -4 Chicken Boneless Chicken breast (sliced into bite size)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayanne pepper
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup of tempura
1 tbs. ginger (minced)
1 tbs garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp garlic chilli paste
1/4 cup green onion
1 tbs rice wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp. chicken bullion
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Orange sauce:
2 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs water
2 tbs of orange juice
4 tbs of sugar
4 tbs of white vinegar
1 - 2 table spoon of orange zest ( I used mandarin orange)

Mix all together


What I like to do is cut all the ingredients ahead of time and set aside...

Combine 1/2 cup corn starch, 1/4 tempura, 1/4 flour together. Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayanne pepper, pinch of salt

than

cut chicken into bite size. I took 3 chicken breast and cut it each one in half the long way and than sliced it. Add 1 egg and a pinch of salt. Mix together than add to the dry ingredients. I shaked the pieces off to get the excess flour off and placed it on a different plate.

I used a small deep fryer and fried away.


mince garlic and ginger and cute green onion

Green onion
Ginger
In a hot wok or big skillet add oil and cook ginger and garlic together till fragrant
Than add green onion and garlic chili sauce, 1/4 tsp chicken bullion and rice wine...cook till green onion is wilted than add orange sauce

mix 1 tbs cornstarch with 1/4 cup water

Than add cornstarch to the wok

Once the cornstarch mix is put it'll thicken quickly so work quick and add chicken. Mix together.
WALA! add sesame seed for garnish and serve over steam rice


1 comment: