Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken Adobo with Achuete Rice


Pronounced "A-dough-bow": A classic filipino dish. Another simple but satisfying dish. Everyone makes it differently, it took me a lot of tries to get it just the way I want it. I had a friend who made her's super soupy and it wasn't my kind of thing. Others brown their chicken first before what the recipe calls for. This is the way I do it. I figured instead of putting it over regular white rice I chose to kick it up a notch.

Chicken Adobo Recipe


  • 1/4 c. vinegar
  • salt
  • 2 to 3 bay leaves
  • 3 to 4 lb. chicken
  • 6-10 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1/8 - 1/4 c. soy sauces
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/2 tsp. of paprika (I like it spicy)


  • Step1
    Cut chicken into 3- to 4-inch pieces or you can use quarter legs, chicken breast, or even turkey

    Step2
    Combine chicken, garlic, black pepper, paprika, bay leaves, vinegar, soy sauce (some soy sauce can be salty so put an 1/8 first and add the rest later according to taste) and 1/4 c. water.


    Step3
    Heat until boiling (don't stir let the vinegar, soysauce, and water evaporate before stirring. If you stir too early sauce becomes to vinegary or sour tasting)


    Step4
    Turn heat to medium and let simmer for about 30 minutes

    Step5
    Once the sauce has reduced drain on a seperate container and stir fry, add the seperated sauce if you choose for more flavor.

    Step6
    Serve over rice.


    Achuete Rice


    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup of water
    1 cup of rice
    1 tsp. achuete powder
    1/2 tsp of chicken bullion
    2 tbs. of oil
    1 tbs. of minced garlic

    Put all ingredients in the rice cooker and cook. Once done stir and add parsley.


    2 comments:

    1. Ooo I love Chicken Adobe! Makes me miss home. Your other recipes look great too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. question, what soy sauce do you use?

      ReplyDelete